Travel Abroad Documents

It is imperative that every driver by law completes the relevant travel abroad documents or carries the vehicles V5. In the circumstances of the vehicle being leased, a VE103B and a letter of authorisation to show you have permission to take the vehicle out of the UK.

Don’t worry if you have more than one driver heading abroad! As long as they are insured on the vehicle, you can nominate them as a driver on your VE103B form and their details will be stated in the authorisation pack.

We want to ensure you get all your documentation and that there are no complications with your journey. So, contact us 28 working days ahead of your travel dates to guarantee that you will receive everything you need ahead of your departure.

Young smiling businessman going on a business trip.


What you need to know before you travel

If you are taking your lease vehicle outside of the UK, ensuring you have the correct paperwork is key.

When you are driving abroad, you will need to be able to prove that you have permission to take your lease vehicle out of the UK.

Before heading abroad, you will need to request a VE103B ‘Vehicle on Hire’ form and carry the original approval documents and forms with you. Copies will not be accepted.


VE103B form & letter of authorisation

Every driver going abroad from the UK must by law, carry the vehicles V5. In the circumstances that the vehicle is leased, a VE103B form needs to be obtained with a letter of authorisation.

The VE103B form entitles you to drive your lease vehicle in any EU member state. You must apply for your VE103B at least 28 working days before travel. Vehicles without a VE103B can be impounded and fined. A letter of authority will not be accepted in place of the VE103B form.


What are the next steps to travelling abroad?

Ensure your vehicle insurance policy covers travel outside of the UK and remember to take your insurance certificate with you.

It’s worth checking to see if you require European breakdown cover. For Agility maintained vehicles, breakdown cover is included in the cost of the VE103B form. Customer maintained vehicles will need to arrange your own European breakdown cover.

Eiffel tower in Paris, France

Are you thinking of traveling to France?

If you are travelling to certain cities within France, you will need a Crit’Air Vignette alongside other documentation.

Like the VE103B, we require 28 working days’ notice before you travel to apply for this with the French Government.

France has introduced ‘clean air’ windscreen stickers as a legal requirement in some of its cities, to help identify a vehicles emissions levels and in some cases restrict access to improve air quality.

Some zones currently enforcing Crit’Air Vignette are:

  • Paris
  • Lyon
  • Grenoble
  • Lille
  • Strasbourg
  • Toulouse
  • Chambery
  • Marseille

If you are travelling to France and visiting or driving through one of the above areas without clearly displaying your Crit’Air clean air sticker you will be liable for an on-the-spot fine.

If you are still unsure about Crit’Air Vignette we advise you call us before you travel and research you route and destination.

Contact Agility Fleet

At Agility Fleet, our team are on hand to support and guide you through your fleet and personal contract hire needs.

If you have an enquiry please call us on  01527 571 605 or email us on

If your enquiry is related to vehicle accident or breakdown please call our 24 hours helpline 01527 571 605

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.